Amanda Gorman is the lady who stole the show at Joe Biden and Kamala Harris’s swearing-in ceremony.
The 22-year-old wowed many with her poem ‘The Hill We Climb’ among them former first lady Michelle Obama.
‘Being American is more than a pride we inherit. It’s the past we step into and how we repair it.
We will not march back to what was. We move to what shall be, a country that is bruised, but whole. Benevolent, but bold. Fierce and free
While democracy can be temporarily delayed, it can never be permanently defeated,’ she said in a poem that has earned her thousands of followers.
‘With her strong and poignant words, Amanda Gorman reminds us of the power we each hold in upholding our democracy. Keep shining, Amanda! I can’t wait to see what you do next. 💕 #BlackGirlMagic,’ Michelle posted.
Barack Obama tweeted,
‘On a day for the history books,
delivered a poem that more than met the moment. Young people like her are proof that “there is always light if only we’re brave enough to see it; if only we’re brave enough to be it”‘.
Well, below are things you didn’t know about Amanda.
She is a Los Angeles, Carlifornia
2. She was born on March 7, 1998
3. She is an activist
4. She is American
5. She was the first person to be named National Youth Poet Laureate.
6. She has a twin sister, Gabrielle, who is an activist
7. Her work focuses on issues of oppression, feminism, race, and marginalisation, as well as the African diaspora.
8. She performed alongside Jennifer Lopez and Lady Gaga at the inauguration which was themed ‘America United’.