In 2020 there are a number of TV shows on our screens which we can’t seem to not talk about. They are shows in which we religiously tune into for one reason or the other.
We all got different tastes and preferences but when it comes to popularity on which shows have taken over and swept us away here is the full list;
1. Maria– Without a doubt even with the support of this year’s statistics popular Kenyan soap opera Maria has won the hearts of many. Doubt it? Check the awards the cast and show scooped at the Kalasha awards. What makes the show so loved is the talented cast and of course the flow of the story. Maria is a story of a young ghetto girl who is taken to the rich family of the Hausas, the reception from the wife of Hausa is bad as they call her Chokoraa for her ghetto nature, Maria falls in love with the son of the rich businessman, Luwi Hausa but faces many hurdles in the course of their relationship with plenty of twisted events. The show which started in 2019 airs every Monday to Friday at 7:30 pm with repeat episodes every Saturday.
2. JKL- Let’s face it without a doubt every Wednesday we feel incomplete without tuning into Jeff Koinange’s show that hosts public figures from all over the world. The show is so famous that it trends on twitter every Wednesday night and if there is a plea for help from a guest it’s amazing how people come together to help. Veteran news anchor Jeff Koinange has mastered a way of nailing it on his interviews that keeps viewers glued to their screens and be part of the candid conversations.
3. Dine with the Murayas– After Bahati’s reality TV show came celebrity power couple Size 8 and Dj Mo with Dine with the Murayas on NTV. The show was entertaining and educated couples about marriage life and things were all smooth and running until DJ Mo’s cheating scandal came to light. Afterward that couple who reconciled announced the show was coming to an end and fans were disappointed with the news but one thing is for sure this is one of the shows that has been making headlines in 2020.
Celebrity relationships that were couple goals but ended in tears – List
4. Jessy Junction- Jessy Junction first started as a vlog on YouTube and became one of the most watched YouTube vlogs in 2020. The show hosted by comedian MC Jessy has grown ever since accumulating 124k subscribers in 2020 and the growth has been visible even to media organizations in which recently the comedian struck a deal with KTN with the show now going live in the channel. With his amazing interviewing skills and his usual touch of humor the show which focuses on the journey of celebrities is a must watch.
5. Churchill show 2020 edition- Churchill show boasting of 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube has been in the list of most watched TV shows since 2007 when it premiered and things are not bound to change. With the pandemic the show that normally has standup comedians doing their thing every Sunday, had to halt on bringing in the audience but Dan Ndambuki alias Churchill like the brainy he is had an alternative. Apart from comedy the comedian decided to hold candid interviews which focuses on the journey of public figures. The show encourages the common mwananchi out here not to give up by tracing on where the top celebrities first started off. Churchill has had the likes of Chris Kirubi, Maina Kageni, Sheila Mwanyiga, Betty Kyalo, Mammito, Size 8 and so many other successful and talented key figures in the public on the show.
6. Chatspot- Chatsot has risen to greater heights since it kicked off in 2018. The show has had a number of hosts but is currently presented by rapper Kush Tracey, King Kaka’s wife Nana Owiti and Mary Mwikali who is currently taking over Joyce Omondi’s show. From time to time you will see a switch up of different hosts such as actress and content creator Joyce Maina. The show is focused on discussing trendy issues with interviews in between. There is also a segment where they play fun games. In my honest opinion I feel like Chatspot is similar to Let’s talk show on Ebru TV, the theme is similar in every way.
Do’s and don’t when picking a one night stand in a club – List
7. Full Circle with Joyce- Full circled with Joyce premiered in 2018 and has since been a favorite for most people. The show holds mature conversations since it is a lifestyle-based talk show that juggles different topics from marriage, food, career talk, health and parenting all in one package. The show as titled has been hosted by gospel musician Joyce Omondi Waihiga but has recently left the show for reasons she says will be revealed later to fans. It is currently taken over by Switch TV presenter Mary Mwikali.
8. 10/10- Every Friday is a party day thanks to Citizen TV’s news anchor Willlis Raburu who has this interesting wild and fun character that we love. The music show holds interviews from artists, it used to include fans in the show but owing to the pandemic things had to switch up a little bit for safety purposes but the same great taste is still felt.
9. One Love– Talia Oyando and Coco soboo moto kill it every Saturday with One love reggae show. It’s their fun side and realness plus different guest Djs who spice up the show that makes weekends worth it. The reggae show holds candid interviews from local reggae artists to big international names such as Everton Blender, Chronixx, Tarrus Riley,Shenseea and the list goes on. Tallia even takes it a notch higher by hosting segments of the show in Jamaica to make us feel as if we are part and parcel of the reggae family. Just like 10/10, the reggae show used to hold One love fans to vibe to the great music and graced with performances from reggae and dancehall artists but that was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.
10. Sundowner- If there is a show that is loved and fans cannot wait for Sundays to have a touch of that classic music then it is Sundowner. Sundowner which airs every Sunday evening from 5 pm on KBC is a show to never miss if you like some of that oldies vibe from back in the day. In fact, in 2020 fans came together to raise 500k for the host of the show Catherine Ndonye who had been ailing.
Prominent female personalities in polygamous marriages – List
11. Perfect match- Perfect match videos have been circulating in the internet and I’m pretty sure you have bumped into one or two videos. The show which airs on Ebru TV focuses on people going on a blind date. The selected couples talk about the characteristics they would fancy in a partner and some of their expectations in a relationship. What makes the show trendy and binge worthy is the ridiculous expectations and demands characters yearn for in a partner.
12. The Wicked edition- The wicked edition is like the daily show by Trevor Noah honestly, the theme is the same and in Kenya that makes the show stand out as we don’t have much of that. The show is a satirical program that cuts on real life issues. With its comical nature there is something deeper about the show, it infuses humor to dig into real life issues affecting the society. The show draws comedy and satire from recent news stories, politicians and other public figures and the general public. The show is hosted by comedian Dr King’ori inviting various guests.
13. Selina- Everybody has been talking about the TV drama series Selina and interest of the show shot when Tiktok queen Azziad Nasenya landed a role in the play. Selina is a Swahili soap opera in which the lead actress Selina who is from a humble background goes through struggles with her wicked stepmother in the midst.