Doctors in India have removed a toothbrush from a man’s stomach after he swallowed it while cleaning the back of his throat.
The 19-cm long toothbrush was removed from the 39-year-old man within 24 hours of him swallowing it. Should they have delayed removing it, the man would’ve lost his life.
Dr Bomni Tayeng, a senior surgeon, said that the patient was not feeling any pain after ingesting the toothbrush and was only experiencing only minor discomfort in his upper abdomen.
He was rushed to a nearby clinic which referred him to a hospital more than 100 km away. X-ray tests done on the patient showed that the toothbrush had made its way to the stomach.
As the toothbrush couldn’t be detected in the x-ray, I then decided to conduct an exploratory laparotomy process under general anaesthesia in the same sitting
The brush could be easily felt in the stomach and was removed through a small incision in the stomach, This procedure took only about 30 minutes.
Dr Bomni Tayeng